Academic Writing Tutorial: Common Types Of Papers
There are different types of academic papers students are expected to write. They each serve a different purpose while helping students build writing and analytical skills. Research may be necessary for different types of papers and others you may be required to share personal opinions or experiences. Understanding different types of academic writing is important as each college and university has certain standards students are expected to uphold.
Depending on your career field you may be expected to know how to produce related content or use them to conduct research or other related tasks. Students can prepare themselves for different assignments by getting a basic overview of types available.
- Essay: an academic paper that works to answer questions, defend an argument, or state personal opinion on a topic through supported evidence. Most essays (with the exception of personal essays) will have a thesis statement that is purpose of the assignment. An essay can be roughly one page in length or in between 1000 to 5000 words. There are different types of essays with different purposes such as descriptive, expository, admission, argumentative, personal, cause and effect, comparison, and so on.
- Research paper: longer than an essay it provides detailed information on a topic based on research. This may include sections such as a literature review that provides in-depth data surrounding an argument based on other related sources.
- Book review or literature review: literary students may be required to complete this assignment. This includes reading assigned literature and providing a review or personal opinion of the content. There are other reviews similar in purpose such as a movie review.
- Articles: this may include presenting information based on research completed. It may provide information aimed at a certain audience or prove a claim.
- Dissertations and proposals: a dissertation is an extensive research project that aims to provide a solution or a unique discovery. A dissertation proposal is when you seek permission to research a potential idea. Also known as a thesis, there are different types such as a PhD thesis, masters, doctoral, and etc.
- Reports: these are basic assignments that include reading material and making a formal written presentation based on findings. A report may display a final outcome of a project in progress or a demonstration. This may include different sections with most grade levels required to complete similar assignments.