Book Report Essays – How To Choose An Interesting Modern Author?
When a book report is assigned, the book is often assigned with it. If not, consider yourself extremely fortunate! Getting through a difficult or uninteresting book is often half the battle of completing the report. And because you get to choose which to write about, you can skip that grueling task altogether.
But how do you pick an interesting book? How do you find an author that writes in a way that will interest you? Simply start with the basics.
If there isn’t a specific book listed as required reading for the report, there may be other requirements to consider. Make sure to complete a thorough review of any assignment handouts to make sure that you aren’t required to pick from a specific list, time period, or genre.
Consider Your Favorites
The first place to start when searching for a book that you will find interesting is your reading list. By reviewing what you have both liked and really detested reading in the past, you can make your best book choice.
A few questions to ponder:
- Do you have a favorite genre?
- Do you have a favorite author?
- Are there authors you would like to avoid?
- Is there a time period you would like to focus on?
- Have friends or colleagues recently suggested an author or book?
Doing a quick web search will generate some great information for picking a worthwhile read. There are many websites dedicated to helping readers find a new favorite – and helping authors share what is great about their latest and greatest authors.
- Check best seller lists – this can be a great place to look if you’re stuck.
- Read reviews – most retailers share product and book reviews directly on their site. Consider checking both critic and general reader reviews to get an overall picture of what you might expect from a book or author.
- Check the library – the library is a great resource for book recommendations. Librarians can offer key insight into popular authors and current book recommendations.
- Read an excerpt – if possible, try to read an excerpt from the book. Some retailers offer the first chapter for free if you order digitally and some authors make a handful of pages out of each book available on their personal websites as well.
Confirm Your Decision
When you have chosen the book you would like to read, notify your instructor. It is a good idea to keep the instructor in-the-loop about your choice – and this step will ensure that they are given a chance to have you change your selection before you read the entire book.
Read Your Pick
Once you have confirmed your book, it’s time to read it! Though it should still be as enjoyable as reading a book for leisure, it is important that you take note of key themes, events and characters as you read. Also make note of important author facts discussed in the book’s Foreward section.
Additional Reading to Consider
After reading the book, you should consider doing some research on the author as well as the overall literary settings and themes found within the book.